Monday, January 14, 2008

A Song of Prayer

You know.. it's a wonderful feeling when prayer comes to you in a form of a song. As you have noticed, I have added music to my blog. The song that is playing is called "The Giving" and it was composed by Michael W. Smith. There is something about this song that just seems to reach deep into my heart. The song feels like a prayer to me. I was never one for instrumental pieces before, but a few years ago a dear friend, Lori, asked me how I felt about going to a concert with her. The concert was Michael W. Smith and opening for him was Mercy Me, a band that has since become one of my favourites.

I was enjoying the concert very much, and he was doing most of his Worship CD music, (all of my favourites) and then he introduced the next song that he was about to do. He told us the song is The Giving, and he composed it in Ireland where he wrote the whole CD. The lighting changed, he sat at his piano, and all was still and quiet. I sat in silence waiting for what appeared to be something very special. Little did I know the impact that song would have on me permanently.

Ever so gently his put his hands an the keyboard and the most touching music (in my humble opinion) came flowing so freely from his fingertips. I have to admit it was one of the most lovely sights I've ever witnessed. It may sound silly for me to say that, but it was simply remarkable.

I was mesmerized by the tune, and I couldn't take my eyes of his face. This song was his prayer. I could see it as he played it. It wasn't just a song, it was a musical tribute to God. He was so at peace when it played, and it was at that moment when I realized that prayer isn't just about the words you speak. It's about the music in your heart. We all sing hymns, other songs with Christian lyrics, but there was something so different about this song. The melody became a prayer in itself for me. There have been many times over the years when I wanted to spend time with God, but really didn't have a specific prayer in my heart, so I would just put this song on over and over again and just lay with Him in the silence. I've spent several hours just being cozy on my couch with Him as this song played. There are times when I really just like the comfortable visit with Him when no words are involved. Just knowing He's there with me, smiling. Silence can be beautiful, and it can speak so much.

Have a wonderful day. I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do.


No comments: